Sunday, October 10, 2010

Coming back to California

On September 29th, 2010 I returned to my home in Santa Rosa after spending over two years in Italy.  I flew from Florence to Frankurt and then to San Francisco. I dragged my four huge suitcases through Customs and I was then met by an old and dear friend who got me to Santa Rosa and my house. The reasons I left Italy are varied and complicated but suffice it to say I wasn't happy there and I am glad to be home. 

In these first days back home I have noted a lot of differences between being in Italy and being in California. The most immediate and obvious difference is not the climate (Mediterranean), or the local vegetative patterns (so like Umbria) or the language (though that is significantly easier for me to understand).  It is the size of things. The cars are bigger. The buildings are bigger.  The distances are greater.  The houses are bigger (and made of wood, mostly). However the most impressive and concerning observation was that people were bigger. 

Weight is an issue in the US and so many people are overweight. I have been observing the scene now for a few days and there are a number of factors that I have noticed that may have led to this issue.  The ads for food are certainly complicating the situation. We are advised to go to an "all you can eat" restaurant. We order the biggest plates to ensure we get our money's worth. Restaurants want to ensure that their patrons feel they are getting full value by having free pie on Wednesday, all you can eat shrimp on Friday and that best of all possible worlds, an all-you-can-eat Sunday brunch. You may never have to eat again.  Our dissatisfaction increases if we don't eat until we are stuffed.

We want to order bigger thicker milk shakes, larger orders of fries, and foot long burgers.  If a two patty hamburger with bacon and cheese is good, wouldn't a three patty hamburger with bacon and cheese be better? It's a bigger slice of pie at the end of the meal or that newest chocolate dessert. The mantra is "Super-size me" and that is exactly what is happening. People are becoming super-sized.

The laws of thermodynamics are immutable. Calories in have to equal calories out, or you gain weight. Slowly or quickly, it is basic physics. As I watch people walk past or eating at a restaurant or buying groceries at the local market I am very concerned about what we are doing to ourselves.  I am not judgemental regarding weight. I have been there at 300 pounds for most of my life. I have suffered the consequences of that weight, including diabetes, high blood pressure, and the inability to move around as quickly as I once did. I had a "friend" ask me once how did I fit into my Porsche.

So today I am reflecting. It is reflections based upon what I have done in my own life to increase the possibility of living longer and healthier. In a recent study, people were asked to determine what the calorie count was for a hamburger and fries. The general consensus was 650 calories. Then a side of broccoli was added to the plate with the burger and fries and the people were asked again what was the calorie count. This time it went down to just above 600 calories. The perception seemed to be that if you have steamed veggies on your plate it must somehow be better for you, and also lower in calories. It is like giving up wine with dinner because you think drinking wine is why you have gained weight. Then you eat three platefuls of food. But have no wine. It might be better to drink the wine and eat less food.

Its time to take some control of your eating habits and determine for yourself what you want your life and health to be.

3 comments:

  1. As I wrote this the other day, I realized that I was seeing a significant problem in our society. Weight has now become news. I see articles in scientific and psychological journals almost every week. We are talking a lot about weight. My question is are we doing enough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kurt, I agree with everything you have written! There are some of us, me included, than cannot master their eating habits and have to have bariatric surgery in order to reclaim their lives. I admire what you have accomplished and how you are spreading the word on these "weighty" matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was lucky enough not to have an "Eating problem" but I was too heavy. I had the surgery not only to reclaim my life but to make it healthier and hopefully, happier

    ReplyDelete