Thursday, September 10, 2009

Figuring out what your body needs

The bariatric patient has undergone major changes in their digestive systems and as a result their nutritional needs and requirements have changed substantially. The active process of weight loss includes the metabolism of carbohydrates stored in the liver, metabolism of fats stored as body reserves, and the metabolism of proteins which make up our muscles and other tissues. The loss of carbohydrates from the liver leads ultimately to a reduction in blood sugar levels and in my case the virtual elimination of my Type 2 diabetes. I have been insulin-dependent since 1992 and was taking three meal-associated short-term insulin injections and a single long term insulin injection at night. I had my last insulin shot the night before my surgery on June 3, 2008. My fasting blood sugar in the morning has gone from 180 immediately after surgery to a current daily level of less than 100 without any supplemental insulin. This phenomenon is observed in many bariatric patients and as an “unintended” consequence of the surgery can lead to the elimination of type 2 diabetes and all of its negative health effects as we age.

It is important to eat a high protein diet as you heal and start losing weight. The loss of muscle mass is common in bariatric patients and a combination of exercise and a high protein diet can reduce the effects from this loss. Taking multi-vitamins and other vitamin supplements is also important. Your vitamin intake has been reduced significantly and you need to replace those vitamins. I take a full multi-vitamin and a vitamin B complex daily. In my first annual blood analysis, all of the vitamin levels were within normal limits. In consultation with your doctor, it may be necessary to add vitamins if you find that blood levels are inadequate. Eating a lot of vegetables, especially in the beginning phases of your recovery is not normally an option. As much as I like spinach and chard I am only able to eat small amounts and still maintain the adequate levels of proteins I need. I still like the vegetables, its just that I have to reduce their intake
.

No comments:

Post a Comment