Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Thoughts from the Front


The reasons why people gain weight vary as much as the people themselves. Some eat too much pie, while others have an endocrine problem. When my first wife had a hysterectomy in 1975, she also started to aggressively gain weight. She had all of the endocrine tests, took thyroid tablets and the rest. She continued to gain inexorably up to 300 pounds. Her back went bad, she was not able to deal with the kids as effectively, and she was quite unhappy. She was not a significant over-eater and she enjoyed food (Chesapeake Bay background). But she was terribly unsatisfied with her life.

When she finally had the stomach stapling in 1981, even though she had to go through a huge effort, the weight loss thrilled her no end. She felt better. She looked better and she thought better of herself. She eventually reentered the workforce, training in the commercial insurance field, found new friends and became a new person. That made me happy for her. I was never sure how much she felt she gave up not being able to eat everything, but she was a very happy person with who she became.

I realize there are rules. The "rules" that my surgeon gave me in his handout before the surgery helped me get through that initial phase of weight loss. The "rules" are really most important during that first year and have been designed to minimize potential but very serious post-surgical problem. Not drinking fluids during eating is important as you really need to heal the stomach. The extra volume of material can distend the stomach and you can become very uncomfortable. After a year I now eat and drink at the same time with no difficulties. It is very important to follow your doctor' advice and counsel. Vitamins are an essential part of the process. You simply can not get all the vitamins you need from your food. This regimen is not for the vegetarians among us. So the "rules", while not made to be broken, do restrict us a bit early on. They are not as significant later. However fluid intake is an important part of the maintenance of a healthy body. To me three things are critical to your success. Drink plenty of fluids (notice I didn't say 8 glasses), take the multi-vitamins and some B12, and eat slowly, savoring the food.

I have had my ups and downs during my weight loss, but I am much happier and certainly much healthier after losing the weight. I get to wear nice suits, slim cut pants, and walk around with renewed confidence in how I look. While that was not my goal it is a nice unintended consequence. I have not weighed this amount since I was 16 years old. Over the years I saw myself and my weight as fine because I was fairly smart and pushed myself through my degrees with alacrity. I spent a career with people who didn't seem to mind my weight and were more concerned with the information I provided them in my consulting business. It wasn't until I decided to do something for myself that things changed. I am not like a reformed alcoholic, spending my time proselytizing about weight loss. It is truly an individual decision not to be taken lightly. I hope that the reader understands that. You must do what you feel you need to do for YOU and no one else. Its your life, your health, and your view of yourself in that big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment